Thursday, May 21, 2009

Only 10% of OVCs get the proper resources and support



Finally starting work at Le Soutien this past week has really opened my eyes to the reality of Cote d'Ivoire. My heart hurts... it really does. I have probably cried 3 times this week (much less than I thought I would). I have been having thoughts of, why I am I here. What is the purpose of this internship? I don't know the language too well and sometimes  I just feel useless. But talking to my canadian friend living in the same house and working at the same organization as me has made me to realize... ok I am not here to change the world overnight (As I knew when I came) but I am here to open my eyes to a new culture and to open the eyes of the people I meet with my culture. It's a whole "global exchange". Just so that we know that we are all here for each other.

At le soutien I finally got to meet the kids (they only come on Wednesdays) but they were just so happy and kept on caressing my hair saying "chinois, chinois". They are just so adorable and I just am so sad with the reality that they live in... did you know that only 10% of OVCs (Orphans and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS) get the proper resources and support. It's a harsh but true reality. It will be so hard for me to leave August... it took an extra hour for them to say good bye this past week and I am going to see them next week. So I don't know how I am going to hold up when it's my last day. 

I've come to realize that really there is not too much you can do in a short 3 month developmental internship. I need to take back everything I learned here and apply it back home, whether that means a small motivation for myself to do better in my studies to get my masters in public health or even just sharing my experience. I don't know... I have come to realize that education is such a key factor in everything. When students go to school in Cote d'Ivoire, they are there because they really want to be there. They do not take the educational system for granted (as I find that some canadians do). 

I hope to open my eyes more during this internship and to gain a better sense of purpose.

Till the next blog... hope that you are all doing well!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm doing an exchange with the ASK program in Senegal. We are running into a lot of problems and we were hoping that we could maybe get some support from the Cote D'Ivoire LC. I can't find any other contact information so I am trying in vain to connect with your LC this way.
We are particularly looking for translations of the ASK modules. If this is something that the LC might be able to help me with I'd appreciate someone writing back to me at nicolette.strauss@gmail.com
I look forward to hearing form you,
Nicolette Strauss

Meg Lyons said...

HI Marshy, Funny how echoed in what you have said, I hear Stephanie's comments after her internship in Kenya. Can't wait to chat to you after this ....

:)