Monday, July 6, 2009

Canada day... in cote d'Ivoire


To tell you the truth... I have never celebrated Canada day. Really it is not a big deal in Calgary, or maybe it is because I am foreign.

But I did get to celebrate it in Cote d'Ivoire. It just so happens that July 1 landed on a Wednesday (that only day the kids come to work)... so of course I had to celebrate our national holiday with them. How do you ask? By the ingenious idea of making paper birthday hats. I placed pictures of "Canada" on paper and we made them into cones and attached string to make a lovely "chapeau". It was an exhausting but amazing day! They were just so thrilled.

Things at work right now are a bit slow and I really do not do very much except for on Wednesdays with the kids. They really are the only reason why I am staying... I can't say that I am leaving earlier then before because not only would they be heart broken but I would be heart broken as well. I think I am just going through the typical roller coaster of emotions you go through when you are working abroad. The ASK program with AIESEC also has come to a small halt as they are trying to organize the second part of the program. So I really do not have much to do... but we are taking some trips out of the city this week, hopefully this will wake me up and take me out of this slum.

Oh mon dieu... the kids at work play with my heart too much, hopefully they will enjoy the other activities I have planned for the upcoming weeks.

No comments: